Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A quote that every scrapper should contemplate...

I read this Anna Quindlen quote on Ali E.'s blog & I just had to post it so i could read it every day if needed...


" ...but the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three on them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4, and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in a hurry to get on to the next things: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less." ~Anna Quindlen


Wow. This is how I feel. I seem to remember moments, but not details. I really have to take time to let it all soak in. My girls are growing up so fast & I have forgotten some of the little details I wish I could remember. The little things they used to say when they were little... Madi said some really interesting and insightful things, I remember that, but not what those things were. Taylor used to have her own special words she would use when she was referring to certain things. Words that only she, her father & I were privy to. Only we knew what she meant. It was like our own special language. At the time, I always thought "that was sooo adorable, I'll remember that forever." But you know, what? I don't remember. And it's frustrating. It's too late now to go back and record those things, but it's not too late to make note of the little details that I notice from now on. I'm gonna do just that. Even if it seems too incidental, I know I will cherish it years from now, when I want to look back fondly on their younger years.

No comments:

Post a Comment